Ideal candidate will manage company's mortgage underwriters, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures. This individual has approval authority for complex loan requests and exceptions to policy. The responsibility for operations management including goals, load leveling, staffing, coaching and performance management. May help coordinate on-site investor audits.
This is critical role with responsibility for directing mortgage underwriting for the organization. This individual will be expected to provide a strong influence on the quality of the portfolio across all mortgage products as well as identifying and orchestrating risk mitigation efforts.
The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer COO and will have responsibilities across the underwriting operation and credit analysis functions for our nationwide lending platform.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Serves as subject matter expert and final decision maker on all underwriting matters for the entire mortgage organization. Handles complex underwriting decisions and resolves all underwriting questions requiring senior knowledge and/or unique problem solving abilities. Provides coaching/feedback and development to managers with regard to Underwriter performance, quality, training and development. Proactively works with the Head of Credit on credit quality. Manages and leads the team responsible for a wide range of duties related to support and general guidance to the mortgage operation in a retail branch network environment.
- Proactively partners with COO, Director of Branch Loan Operations and Sales Managers on all underwriter performance, quality, productivity and development.
- Directly manages on-site Team Underwriting Managers
- Collaborates with VP, Credit & Underwriting in managing mortgage underwriting & eligibility Guide
- Participates as a member of Credit Committee, acting as an underwriting subject matter expert in the all credit policy
- Reviews escalated underwriting questions from Underwriting Managers, Fulfillment, Sales Manager and makes final determinations on all matters related to the underwriting of mortgage loans.
- Proactively works with mortgage teams on education, training, development and process improvement for the underwriting function.
- Provides reporting to mortgage leadership on underwriting productivity. Establishes benchmarks for success.
- Monitors compliance issues, including ensuring that all department members attend required meetings and that staff is in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Monitors quality levels to ensure adherence to standards. Partners with Compliance and Quality Control to ensure the all appropriate Quality Control audit findings are addressed.
- Works with all mortgage managers to ensure appropriate quality governance procedures are in-force.
- Ensures department is providing a high level of customer service to internal and external customers.
- Partners with Product Development and Engineering in workflow enhancements of Encompass LOS and automated underwriting engine.
- Multi-state underwriting experience required
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience.
- Ten+ years’ experience in Mortgage underwriting.
- Five+ years’ management/supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Knowledge of the complete mortgage lending process.
- Knowledge of financial analysis techniques.
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, teamwork and customer service skills.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) required, must have experience with Mortgage origination systems, platforms tools and technology.
- Ability to analyze policies, procedures and guidelines in a way that maximizes productivity but protects the level of risk desired.
- Ability to make decisions in a time sensitive manner.
Apply today to learn more.